New CS:GO matchmaking update and Skill Group changes
The last “major” CS:GO update saw Valve nerfing the M4A1-S and improving Ancient. This week, in the latest CS:GO update released in the early morning hours on 2 August, Valve released a significant matchmaking update that affects all players. Here’s what you need to know.
New CS:GO update details:
The patch notes for the CS:GO update released on 2 August 2022 can be viewed below:
- Multiple changes to the competitive matchmaking algorithm, which will require Skill Groups to be recalibrated for accuracy. Your Skill Group will not be visible until you win your next match.
- Game instructor should now correctly reload saved state if it is disabled and re-enabled.
- Game instructor floating hints are disabled in competitive matches.
All players jumping into CS:GO following the update will be affected. You will have to win one match to see your new Competitive Skill Group rating.
Valve explains: “Typically when we ship changes to CS:GO’s matchmaking system, the adjustments are small enough that we don’t include them in our release notes. However, today’s update affects all CS:GO players so it requires some explanation.
When you launch CS:GO, you’ll notice that your Skill Group is not displayed–you’ll have to win one more match to reveal your Skill Group. Most of you will notice a change to your Skill Group, but some of you may find that you were already in the right place.”
Some players might be in a lower Skill Group, while others might be in a higher one following the update and one match win. Valve also made some changes to Ember, so check them out below.
- Altered the angle that the North cannon faces.
- Cannons can now be aimed upwards, and is now 2x faster.
- Now have 3 firing speeds (change with mouse2).
- Reduced inaccuracy multiplier.
- Killfeed now shows weapon icon.
- Produce a beefy screen shake and more particle effects.
- Base model now also rotates.
- Added damage falloff to cannonballs after their initial collision.
- Fixed being able to bumpmine away from cannon and keep control.
- Fixed cannons continuing to turn when no longer in use.
- Added bus to bus stop outside Industry.
That’s it for the latest CS:GO update. It will be interesting to see how South African players’ Competitive Skill Groups have been affected in CS:GO, so let us know!
Header image via Valve.